Share This Article
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is the most extensive federal nutritional assistance program in the U.S., providing low-income households monthly benefits to help stretch their food budgets. These benefits are accessed via an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card, which works similarly to a debit card.
Some examples you cannot buy with SNAP are beer and other alcohol, cigarettes, pet food, soaps and detergents, paper towels and toilet paper, and cleaning supplies. Also Unable to use SNAP for restaurant foods or hot foods from the grocery store section.
The following is a list of items that you can purchase with SNAP benefits:
· Fruits and vegetables
· Meat, poultry, and fish
· Dairy products
· Bread and cereals
· Seeds or plants that can produce food for the household to eat
SNAP is a federally-funded program that provides monthly benefits to low-income households to help stretch their food budgets. These benefits are accessed via an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card, similar to a debit card. There are some restrictions on what can be purchased with SNAP benefits. For example, you cannot use SNAP benefits to purchase non-food items such as alcohol, tobacco, pet food, soaps and detergents, paper products, and household supplies. Additionally, SNAP benefits cannot be used to purchase hot foods or foods that can be eaten in the store.
Tips for stretching your food budget using SNAP benefits
- Plan your meals and make a grocery list before shopping. This will help you purchase only the items you need.
- Compare prices at different stores to find the best deals on the food items you need.
- Use coupons! Many stores offer discounts on certain items when you present a coupon at the time of purchase.
- Look for store sales and take advantage of discounted prices.
- Buy in bulk when possible. Buying items in larger quantities can often be cheaper than buying smaller amounts.
- Consider purchasing generic or store brands instead of name brands. Store brands are usually cheaper and just as good as name brands.
Frequently asked questions about SNAP
Do SNAP benefits expire?
Yes, SNAP benefits expire after a particular time. The expiration date is printed on the front of the EBT card.
What if I lose my EBT card?
If you lose your EBT card, you should immediately contact your state’s SNAP office to report the lost or stolen card. They will provide you with a replacement card.
Can I get cash back from my EBT card?
No, you cannot get cash back from your EBT card. However, you can use your EBT card to withdraw cash from an ATM if your state allows it.
How do I check my SNAP balance?
You can check your SNAP balance by logging into your account online or calling the customer service number on the back of your EBT card.
What if I need more SNAP benefits?
If you need more SNAP benefits, you can contact your state’s office to file a request for an increase in benefits. You will need to provide proof of your current income and living situation.
Applying for SNAP benefits
If you are interested in applying for SNAP benefits, you can contact your state’s office to find out more information. You can also visit the USDA’s SNAP website for more information.